One of our favorite St. Lucia sweets is their coconut pie.
Christine, the housekeeper at the Great House in Marigot Bay, is the one who introduced us to the recipe and made us fall in love with it. It’s so good that we just had to share it with everyone.
- 1 dried Coconut
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3 table spoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan combine grated coconut, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and water. Bring to a simmer until the coconut becomes syrupy.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, butter, , sugar, water and mix until it becomes dough.
- Pat the dough in a pie dish and then add the filling.
- Cover the pie with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Then remove foil and cook for another 30 minutes.
And Volia! Enjoy!
– Lauren, Oasis Team