Hike to the Top of St. Lucia’s Most Famous Landmark!
These incredible mountains have become the symbol of St. Lucia. The road south from Soufrière offers a magnificent view of the twin peaks, which rise precipitously from the cobalt blue Caribbean. The two pyramidal cones, covered with thick tropical vegetation, were formed by lava from a volcanic eruption 30 to 40 million years ago. They are not identical twins since 2,619-ft Petit Piton is taller than 2,461-ft Gros Piton, though Gros Piton is, as the word translates, broader.
Gros Piton is currently the only one where climbing is permitted, though the trail up even this shorter Piton is one very tough trek and requires the permission of the Forest and Lands Department and a knowledgeable guide. The Gros Pitons trail is open to public hiking tours though, and although it’s a challenge – the view and feeling of satisfaction once you reach the top is definitely rewarding!
These excursions cannot be booked ahead of time, but can be easily booked once you arrive on the island and call our Guest Services Office located in Marigot Bay.
Gros Pitons Hiking Details:
- Please note that this activity is not for everyone: It’s a long and hot half-day ascent, one best tackled early in the day.
- You are required to take a guide for your hike.
- Hike & Guide Package: includes round-trip transportation, lunch, drinks and guide. US$140 per person (2 people min).
Further Details About this Activity:
- Transportation: a round-trip taxi transportation included in cost.
- Recommended: good hiking/walking shoes and water. No sandals!
- Also Included: lunch and guide.
- Booking: bookings cannot be made in advance to your vacation, but can be made once you are on the island via our Guest Services Office. The local phone number and information on how to contact the Guest Services Office is provided once your reservation is made, but can also be found here.